The archiving process is detailed in the Archive Preparation Guide (PDF). The process works like this:
- Agreement with the PDS about what to archive, how, and when.
- Creation of archive products and data volumes
- Submission of data and peer review
- Public availability of the data
More information about the creation of archive products is given below. For complete details, see the Archive Preparation Guide (PDF). Also see the information for proposers, if you are proposing an instrument or data analysis.
Creating Archive Data
There are various tools to help with creating data for submission to the PDS.
Example Archive Documents
- MOU — Memorandum of Understanding for MRO (doc pdf)
- DMAP — Data Management and Archiving Plan
- ICD — Interface Control Document, which details the interface between the data provider and the discipline node.
- SIS — Software Interface Specification, which describe the data structures and volumes
- Draft Huygens - SSP (doc pdf)
- Data Product SIS template (doc pdf)
- Archive Volume SIS template (doc pdf)
- MACP — Mission Archive Close-out Plan for MGS (doc pdf)
Example Catalog Files
- MISSION.CAT (CASSINI-HUYGENS)
- INSTHOST.CAT (CASSINI ORBITER)
- INST.CAT (CASSINI ORBITER COMPOSITE INFRARED SPECTROMETER)
- DATASET.CAT (CASSINI SATURN CIRS)
- TARGET.CAT (TITAN)
Example Products and Labels
- IMAGE data product and data product label (Callisto)